Las Vegas massacre: What we know so far

At least 58 people have been killed and more than 527 injured after a retired accountant opened fire on concertgoers in Las Vegas.

Stephen Craig Paddock smuggled an armoury's worth of weapons into a swank Las Vegas hotel and mowed down concert-goers from a 32nd-storey window.

This is what we know so far

  • More than 22,000 people were at the Route 91 Harvest Festival when there was a burst of automatic gunfire around 10:08 pm
  • Police said a lone gunman opened fire from his 32nd-floor room at the Mandalay Bay Hotel.
  • SWAT found the gunman's body in his room alongside an arsenal of high-powered rifles.
  • The death toll currently stands at 59, making it the deadliest in US history.
Stephen Craig Paddock has been identified as the shooter who gunned down at least 59 people. Source: 7 News
The shooter was found dead inside his hotel room. Source: 7 News

What we know about the gunman

  • Police named the shooter as Stephen Paddock, a 64-year-old retired accountant.
  • Paddock lived in Mesquite, Nevada a retiree community outside of Las Vegas.
  • He was divorced and not known to have any children.
  • He was considered a high-stakes gambler whose bank-robber father was once on the FBI's most wanted list.
Concertgoers ran for their lives as gunfire rang out across the Vegas strip. Source: AP


  • The FBI said Paddock had no known links to any international terror groups.
  • Police searched for his partner, former Gold Coast resident Marilou Danley, before clearing her of any involvement.
  • Paddock’s younger brother insisted he had "no religious affiliation and no political affiliation".
  • Authorities searched Paddock's home in Mesquite on Monday and found weapons and ammunition.

As the first images of those killed in the senseless tragedy begin to emerge, many questions remain as to how Paddock obtained such a deadly arsenal.

The hotel window where Paddock perched himself. Source: AAP