'She's got nephews waiting to meet her': Sister's anguish over missing 15-year-old

The half-sister of a 15-year-old girl who disappeared from inner western Sydney seven years ago says her family continues to feel anguish over her loss.

The NSW government on Tuesday announced a $500,000 reward for information on the disappearance of Katrina Bohnenkamp, who was reported missing by her carers in early November 2012.

She was last seen at a Strathfield home in late October 2012.

Half-sister Jaide Simpson on Tuesday told reporters it had been terrible not knowing Katrina's whereabouts.

"It's been horrible not having answers and not knowing what happened to her. I've got so many different theories," she said.

Katrina Bohnenkamp's half-sister Jaide Simpson said she hoped the appeal would prompt those with information to come forward. Source: NSW Police

"Hopefully we can get some kind of clarity and the theories can be put to rest."

Ms Simpson said Katrina had been planning out her life at the time she went missing and was a "fun, hyperactive, busy and kind" person.

"She just wanted to have the best life," she said.

"She had goals and things she wanted to do. For her to just disappear, it just doesn't fit.

"I just want her home. She's got two nephews waiting to meet her. She's got a home to come back to."

Police quizzed on eight-month delay before public appeal

Last year, an investigation by The Sydney Morning Herald uncovered police waited eight months to put out a press release about Katrina’s disappearance.

At the time of the investigation, the missing girl’s family alleged police took months to interview them and also issued conflicting statements relating to Katrina’s physical features and when she was last seen.

When asked about the eight-month delay, Detective Inspector Christie Houldin told reporters this would be one of the topics under review during a coronial inquest on November 27.

“There is certainly someone... out there who has information regarding Katrina’s disappearance. I am certain of that,” Det Insp Houldin said.

"We are constantly looking for those answers for Katrina's family and for the wider community who are worried about Katrina. We hold grave concerns for Katrina's safety.”

A $500,000 reward has been announced for information relating to the disappearance of the Sydney teenager who went missing more than seven years ago. Source: Facebook

NSW Police said the reward would be offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for Katrina's disappearance, or for information on Katrina's recovery.

There had been a number of unconfirmed sightings of Katrina since she was last seen in October 2012, Insp Houldin said.

"Between October 26 and November 2 there were a number of alleged sightings, but these have not been confirmed by investigators," she said.

"The details of the confirmed sighting don't give any information on where she has gone or where she could be now."

Katrina's disappearance will be the subject of a NSW coronial inquest beginning on November 27.

Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence.

–– With AAP

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter, download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play and stay up to date with the latest news with Yahoo’s daily newsletter. Sign up here.