Retailers have issued a recall of a common household item over fears it could electrocute people.
Customers who purchased the white Jackson three-metre extension lead are being told to stop using it immediately and return it to where they bought it for a replacement or full refund.
Product Safety Australia says a defect has led to the active and neutral connections being reversed on the extension lead socket outlet.
This can cause parts of the appliance that are plugged into the extension lead to remain live, even if it is switched off, risking electric shock which can cause serious injury or death.
The particular model is the PEXT3M, which is rated 240V 10A 2400W, however the model number is not explicitly stated on the cord.
Customers are instead being urged to check for the markings on the socket (LA023A), plug (LA020E), and cord (SAA170791EA) to identify the affected product together with the batch code (PO11872).
The white extension lead was sold nationally in three major retailers, including JB Hi-Fi, Officeworks and Big W.
The date of sale of the affected product ranges from July 6 to September 9 2022.
Jackson has since apologised for “any inconvenience” the recall may have caused and is insisting that it is only the white three-metre lead which is affected.
“No other lengths are affected by the recall and are safe to continue using,” the company said on its website.
“If the cord length is three-metres, all the markings match and the product was purchased within the date range, please return the product with proof of purchase date to your place of purchase for a refund or replacement.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.