Girl, 10, dies in freak swimming pool tragedy at family home

·1-min read

A 10-year-old girl has died after her hair got caught in the drainage system of the family's swimming pool in Brazil.

Laise Pegorini Franzen died in hospital after suffering cardiac arrest at her home in the neighbourhood of Sao Cristovao, in the town of Faxinal dos Guedes in the Brazilian state of Santa Catarina, on Tuesday (local time).

She lived at home with her parents and two brothers.

Laise Pegorini Franzen is pictured left and right doing the peace sign.
Laise Pegorini Franzen, 10, died after her hair got caught in her family pool's drainage system. Source: Newsflash/Australscope

Laise's hair became caught in the pool drainage system and she was trapped underwater for a long period of time, according to reports.

Family members rushed the girl to Hospital Sao Cristovao while she was in a state of cardiac arrest, but doctors were unable to revive the child, news site G1 reported. 

An investigation was opened by police who are currently treating the girl’s death as accidental.

She was buried in the Xanxere Municipal Cemetery on the morning of Wednesday.

The girl’s school, the Colegio Integracao, in the town of Xanxere, said on Facebook after her death: "We can't find the words at this moment to express the pain at losing such a beloved little one, our little Laise.

"May God comfort the hearts of her parents and brothers. We will miss her every day at our school. Her smile, her way of being that enchanted everyone. You will remain in our hearts forever."

The investigation is ongoing.

– Australscope

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting