Two baggage handlers at the centre of a shocking luggage controversy have been given their marching orders.
The pair, who were subcontracted by Qantas, were thrust into the spotlight last weekend after footage of them hurling bags onto a conveyor belt was posted to TikTok and went viral.
In the clip, which was shot at Melbourne Airport, the employees can be seen laughing as they aggressively toss the suitcases onto the carousel. At times they are filmed kicking the items.
The video led contracting company Swissport, which oversees ground handling at the airport, to immediately stand down the baggage handlers while an investigation was carried out.
‘Individuals no longer employed’
On Thursday, Swissport confirmed in a statement to Yahoo News Australia the two staff members had been fired.
“An urgent investigation was undertaken into the recent behaviour of two team members at Melbourne Airport who were handling customer luggage in an unacceptable manner,” a spokesperson from the company said. “As a result of that investigation, these individuals are no longer employed by Swissport.”
Swissport went on to say that it has also spoken to all operations teams to “remind them of the high standards” expected within the organisation.
“The unacceptable behaviour of a few individuals will not be allowed to tarnish the quality work of our whole team,” it said.
“Our 3,000 strong team across the network works hard to ensure these standards are upheld and it is important that when those standards are breached by a small group of individuals, that we take action.”
Speaking to Yahoo News Australia on Saturday, Qantas said the behaviour seen in the video is “clearly not acceptable”.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.