Fond memories of diver Michael

With decades of fishing and diving experience under his belt, Michael McGregor's family struggle to believe his death could have been the result of his own mistake.

Exactly what happened below the surface while he was diving for rock lobster 5km off the Dawesville Cut could for ever remain a mystery, with autopsy and shark experts unlikely to ever be able to say whether the 38-year-old's death was a tragic accident or the result of a shark attack.

Before he disappeared, Mr McGregor had come up from his first dive "pretty chuffed" after catching several lobsters and demanding someone fire up the barbecue on the boat so they could tuck into his loot.

He went down for his second dive but this time he did not surface - to the concern of his friends and sister Leanne Wilkinson, who were aboard the boat.

Their anguish continued for several days before police divers finally found his body near the initial dive site.

Police are investigating whether shark bite marks found on his body caused his death.

Described by his family as "the most generous, loving and caring soul", Mr McGregor grew up the youngest among four sisters Ms Wilkinson, Susan Wilkinson, Tracey Depiazzi and Pauline Callageri.

"He was always his happiest on the water," the sisters said.

"It was his home - he spent more time out there than he did at his house.

"He was like a kid in a toy shop when he dived."

As a child, Mr McGregor took any opportunity he could to be out in his family's dinghy.

Guided by his father Robin, Mr McGregor would soon exude a confidence on the water that makes his death all the more difficult for his family to understand.

That confidence also extended to his fearlessness of the ocean's deadliest inhabitants.

"He just didn't really think about - for him it was nothing," the sisters said.

"I don't think he ever factored in risks (of the sharks).

"For him, he was going diving and that was it."

On the fateful day on March 29, Mr McGregor was his jovial self, leaving everyone in stitches with his trademark cheeky humour.

"We laughed and laughed from the time we got out of bed, just him and his antics and laughter," Leanne Wilkinson said.

The family intend to scatter Mr McGregor's ashes at sea.

"There's closure in the way that we know they've found him - there's a bit of relief that there's something instead of nothing," the sisters said.

"It's very stressful and hard to come to terms with. It's a waiting game of what they are going to find.

"We may never know what happened to him and that is extremely distressing.

"We find comfort that he passed doing what he loved and where he loved to be."

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting