Coronavirus Victoria: Cases fall again as five more deaths recorded
Restrictions in Victoria continue to suppress daily infections, with a new low in daily coronavirus cases achieved since the peak of the second wave.
The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) confirmed 70 new cases and five deaths – a significant drop from Monday.
Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said it was an additional 58 cases, 12 of the 70 being reclassified cases.
It follows 73 new infections and a record 41 further deaths confirmed the previous day.
Twenty-two of those deaths were across several weeks prior to August 27 from aged care facilities, the DHHS said earlier on Monday. That figure was later revised to 33.
There have been 134 deaths confirmed in the last seven days, with the state’s death toll standing at 570 and the nation’s at 677.
The five deaths are two females in their 70s, two females in their 80s and one female in her 90s.
All five are linked to aged care while three are in the last 24 hours.
Monday’s daily infections is the lowest total since July 3 when 66 cases were confirmed.
Just 10,153 tests were processed in the previous 24 hours, well below the 20,000 daily tests desired.
“Any symptoms whatsoever, please come forward as soon as they present [and] get tested,” Premier Daniel Andrews reminded.
On Monday, Mr Andrews revealed he will be releasing the state’s roadmap out of restrictions on Sunday.
Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton told reporters the state was “more or less on track” and hoped daily cases would drop to 40 by the end of the week.
Professor Mary-Louise McLaws, an epidemiologist at UNSW, has suggested some hotspot suburbs could be “ring-fenced” and forced to maintain restrictions while the rest of Melbourne can ease out of lockdown.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.