Young child dies in freak washing machine tragedy
A child has died after being found in a running washing machine.
Police arrived at a home in Hoon Hay, a suburb of Christchurch on New Zealand's South Island, on Friday about 5pm (local time) where the pre-school aged child was unresponsive, Stuff reported.
"One person was injured and taken to hospital where they later died," a spokesperson told the publication.
The child was found in a front-loading washing machine that had been turned on.
A police spokesperson confirmed to Stuff inquiries into the circumstances of the death were being made.
The death is reportedly not being treated as suspicious.
The coroner has been informed.
People gathered at the home Sunday to pay tribute to the young person.
In August, a three-year-old boy died in Orlando after becoming trapped in a front-loading washing machine.
Police say the boy was playing with a sibling in the laundry room when he somehow got inside the appliance.
Three months later, three teens had to be rescued in England after getting stuck while playing inside a tumble dryer.
The incident triggered a massive emergency response, including that of the Helicopter Medical Emergency Service (HEMS).
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.
You can also follow us on Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.