'Tragic accident': Boy, 3, dies after getting trapped in washing machine

A toddler has died in a tragic accident after becoming trapped in a front-loading washing machine, authorities confirmed.

A three-year-old boy was killed on Sunday in a home at Orlando, Florida, in the US, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Police say the boy was playing with a sibling in the laundry room when he somehow got inside the washing machine.

A Florida toddler is dead after he became trapped in a front-loading washing machine similar to this one.
A Florida toddler has died after becoming trapped in a front-loading washing machine similar to this one. Source: Getty, file

He was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Authorities did not release further details and the death remained under investigation.

In a statement, police spokesperson Cory Burkarth said the boy’s death appeared to be an accident.

No charges were immediately reported.

The Orlando boy was taken to hospital from the laundry room but was pronounced dead.
The three-year-old boy died in the laundry room of a home at Orlando, Florida. Source:

Parents are urged to take precautions to prevent similar tragedies by securing laundry doors with child-proof locks, and keeping washers and dryers closed.

“We also ask that parents speak with their children and teach them that washers, dryers and other appliances are not toys and should not be played with,” Mr Burkarth said.

with AP

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, download the Yahoo News app from iTunes or Google Play and stay up to date with the latest news with Yahoo’s daily newsletter. Sign up here.