Charging iPhone sets sleeping woman's bed on fire


A young woman has suffered burns to her hand after her overheated iPhone 5s caught fire in her bed while it was charging.

The 24-year-old bank clerk, identified as Nur Filzah Abdul Rahman, shared photos of her burnt phone on social media after the incident, which took place at the city of Shah Alam in Western Malaysia’s Selangor State.

The woman, who was using an iPhone 5s, said she usually charges the device on the floor, but on the night of the blaze she had left it charging on the mattress before falling asleep.

The iPhone was destroyed after it exploded, causing the mattress to also catch fire. Source: AsiaWire/Australscope
The iPhone was destroyed after it exploded, causing the mattress to also catch fire. Source: AsiaWire/Australscope

But around 4am, she awoke feeling heat behind her body and when she reached out she ended up grasping the burning phone with her hand.

Shocked, Nur Filzah leapt out of the bed to turn the lights on and discovered that the mattress had also caught fire in her smoke-filled room.

Nur Filzah was left with burns on her palms and wrists. Source: AsiaWire/Australscope
Nur Filzah was left with burns on her palms and wrists. Source: AsiaWire/Australscope

She called her housemates who managed to extinguish the fire by throwing a bucket filled with water over it, and Nur Filzah was immediately hospitalised in order to take care of her burns.

She later shared images of her burnt hands online.

The woman had reportedly changed her phone’s battery two months ago. Prior to that for the past four years she did not have any issues with it.

It’s not the first time smart phones have burst into flames. Earlier this year a damaged iPhone overheated and exploded in an electronics shop.

Thankfully no-one was injured.

Australscope

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting