'Can’t leave him in random hole': Tyrrell family make emotional plea for closure

William Tyrrell's family are pleading with the person who took their son to show them where he is, even if it means leading them to his body.

It has been two years since the three-year-old wearing his Spider-Man outfit disappeared from his grandmother's house at Kendall in New South Wales on September 12, 2014.

Police believe William was abducted and earlier this week they launched a $1 million reward for any information that leads to his recovery. Photo: AAP
Police believe William was abducted and earlier this week they launched a $1 million reward for any information that leads to his recovery. Photo: AAP

Police believe he was abducted and earlier this week they launched a $1 million reward for any information that leads to his recovery.

William's family have made a heartbreaking appeal to those involved in his disappearance to give them closure.

His parents, who can't be named for legal reasons, told the The Daily Telegraph that they remain hopeful William is still alive but know they face the terrible alternative.

The outfit William Tyrrell was wearing when he disappeared.
The outfit William Tyrrell was wearing when he disappeared.

“To that person, even if William is dead, even if somebody killed him - deliberately or if it was an accident - and you know where he is, he’s got to come home,” his mother said.

“If William is dead then you can’t just leave him in some random hole somewhere, it’s not right.

“His remains need to be acknowledged and signposted that this is where he is."

The distraught mother said that if her beloved boy is dead, there needs to be recognition and a funeral to celebrate his life.

The parents of the missing boy are begging for their son's return. Photo: AAP
The parents of the missing boy are begging for their son's return. Photo: AAP
An image of what William Tyrrell may look like now as a five-year-old. Photo: Daily Telegraph.
An image of what William Tyrrell may look like now as a five-year-old. Photo: Daily Telegraph.

“He wasn’t yours to take. You don’t go around stealing children," she said.

The mother said the money is "a million dollars of freedom" and the person who knows information can make a break and ultimately has a "get-out-of-jail-free card".

The Tyrrell family said they are hoping that William's abductors have kept him and are caring for him.

Detective Chief Inspector Gary Jubelin earlier said he could not rule out the possibility that a paedophile ring was involved in snatching the little boy but would not discuss any of the 690 persons of interest identified so far as part of the broader investigation.

The Tyrrell family said they are hoping that William's abductors have kept him and are caring for him. Photo: The Daily Telegraph
The Tyrrell family said they are hoping that William's abductors have kept him and are caring for him. Photo: The Daily Telegraph


"If he's alive, or if we find William's remains, as unpalatable as that sounds, we've said to the family we're going to do everything possible to find out what's happened to William," Jubelin said.

"If a child's getting round in the McDonald's carpark in a Spiderman suit now, two years after William's disappeared, we're not particularly interested," he said.

"But what we would be interested in [would be] if anyone's got concerns about the circumstances in which a child has come into a family."

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting