SIGN UP for our newsletter ✉️ :

Get the latest stories delivered straight to you

Boy dies after eating biscuit

The death of a teenage boy at a Sydney school has led to calls for teachers and childcare workers to be better equipped to deal with food allergies.

The 16-year-old is the fifth young Australian to die in recent years, despite the known dangers of food like nuts and eggs.

Raymond Cho died after eating a cookie prepared in class at Ashfield Boys High School, which contained walnuts.

The school had an emergency plan for Raymond, and his family wants its implementation that day investigated. Raymond's death will be reviewed by the Coroner next month.

Lawyers for Raymond Cho's Family say they expect parents of other children with food allergies will watch the inquest here closely, in the hope it may help to save lives in the future.

"What was the reaction, and how was the rescue, if we can call it that, carried out," Cho family lawyer Courtenay Poulden said.

“[Was it] appropriate to have cooking demonstrations including products that are a danger to some of the students?"

The Education Department says schools are equipped with information and medication to deal with allergic reactions.

Food allergy in general in Australia has doubled in the last five to ten years, with one in 20 children having a food allergy.

Six year old Georgia Morgan is allergic to eggs and nuts and used to be allergic to milk.

Her allergies are written on her lunchbox, and her school is aware. But a few years ago, in child-care, she had a severe allergic reaction which her mum says staff didn't recognise.

"It was clear they couldn't even identify the mild symptoms to an allergic reaction which were hives and swelling in the body," mother Alex Morgan said.

“They need to be prepared for an emergency. One day it will happen."