Three young girls who were playing in their lounge room on Monday afternoon made a deadly discovery inside their dollhouse.
They had been close to the miniature home when they heard a strange noise, and realised an extremely venomous eastern brown had taken up residence inside.
While the girls weren’t playing with the home, they had just taken some things out of it before they made the surprising find.
Two of the them stayed to keep an eye on the serpent, which was about a metre long, while the other one went to tell their parents.
Their mum and dad called Snake Catchers Adelaide, who instructed them to close off the room and put towels over the door’s opening.
But the parents informed the reptile catchers that the snake kept popping its head out of the dollhouse and would sneak back inside when someone in the room moved.
“It was right down the bottom in the drawer area,” licensed snake catcher Troy Dupree explained.
“Every time it saw the people it would just pop his head away.”
Mr Dupree attended the call-out at the Mount Pleasant property, north east of Adelaide, and because it was a busy afternoon it took about two hours for him to arrive.
In that time the eastern brown had not moved, and he was thankful the family had kept an eye on it.
- Dog becomes surrogate father to baby possum
- Pet owner’s warning after dog dies from tick paralysis
- Monster great white caught in shark net off Sydney beach
Mr Dupree explained that eastern browns are generally reclusive reptiles and have good eye sight to about 10 metres, but added they are dangerously venomous.
“It doesn’t matter if they’re a small or a big one, the venom toxicity is the same,” snake catcher Troy Dupree told Yahoo7.
The Australian Museum website says eastern brown snakes can cope and even thrive in areas of human disturbance.
“Its natural range happens to include some of the most populated parts of the country, this species is probably encountered more than any other type of snake,” the website states.
Ange Broadstock from Snake Catchers Adelaide agrees.
“Our most common snake is the eastern brown – It’s pretty much in every suburb of Adelaide,” she explained.
The family had no idea how the snake got into their home or the dollhouse, and were not sure how long it had been inside for.
“It was a typical farm house. In most rural farm areas people are coming and going through doors,” Mr Dupree said.
With the snake catcher adding that it was made from old stone which can sometimes have cracks in it.
But while this family’s visitor was a dangerous one, he said they wanted to make sure the snake was released as a “happy animal”.
The snake catcher advises those who find themselves in the same situation, “stand still, keep an eye on them, watch them carefully and call a professional, licensed snake catcher.”