'Increased terror threat' sparks worldwide travel warning

Natasha Christian

UPDATE: The US has issued a worldwide travel alert for its citizens due to "increased terrorist threats".

"Current information suggests that ISIL, al Qaeda, Boko Haram and other terrorist groups continue to plan terrorist attacks in multiple regions," the State Department said.

It cited recent attacks in Denmark, France, Mali, Nigeria and Turkey.

"US citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using transportation," it added.

Americans were also advised to avoid large crowds or crowded places and to "exercise particular caution during the holiday season".

EARLIER: French police have found what they believe is a suicide belt, in a bin in southern Paris.

The ‘belt’ was found in the suburb of Montrouge near where Paris attack suspect Salah Abdeslam was traced on the night of the attacks.


The area has been sealed off and a specialist team is working to verify if the belt does contain explosives.

Investigators claim a mobile phone of the world’s most wanted man, Abdeslam, was found in Châtillon, near where the belt was found, on the night of the massacres.

130 people were killed in the horrific attacks.

Investigators say it’s possible Abdeslam got ‘cold feet’ at the last minute and failed to carry out a suicide bombing which had been planned as part of the attacks on Novmber 13.

A man has also been charged in connection with involvement the Paris attacks, the Belgian prosecutor has said this morning.

The unnamed individual was one of five people arrested in raids on Sunday.

Two have been released, while the rest are still being investigated.

A statement from the federal prosecutor's office claimed the man was charged with "participating in activities of a terrorist group and with [a] terrorist attack".

He is the fourth person charged in connection to the Paris attacks.

A further 15 people who were detained have now been released from custody.