Woman suffers burns after social media stunt goes wrong

Yahoo News Staff
·1-min read

A woman has been hospitalised with third degree burns after a YouTube stunt went horribly wrong.

Abbie Quinnen, 23, a London-based Instagram influencer and the partner of Strictly Come Dancing‘s star AJ Pritchard, suffered serious burns after the pair tried filming a stunt in January.

The couple were attempting to turn a wine bottle into a vase using a piece of flaming rope while in Covid-19 lockdown.

Abbie Quinnen, 23, is pictured in a hospital bed with burns.
Abbie Quinnen has been hospitalised with serious burns. Source: Instagram/ Abbie Quinnen and Instagram/ The Sun

The bottle exploded in Ms Quinnen’s face and she was rushed to hospital, according to The Sun.

“Abbie was shocked and in a great deal of pain but AJ sprang into action to put out the fire with a wet tea towel,” a source said.

The 23-year-old suffered third-degree burns and has undergone 20 hospital visits and three skin grafts, according to the paper.

AJ Pritchard, 26, and Abbie Quinnen, 23, are pictured.
Abbie Quinnen, 23, is a London-based Instagram influencer and the partner of Strictly Come Dancing‘s star AJ Pritchard. Source: Instagram/ AJ Pritchard

Ms Quinnen posted a statement on Instagram on Sunday warning people to be careful copying YouTube videos.

"Whilst we were attempting to create a glass bottle into a vase following a YouTube tutorial it went terribly wrong and it resulted in me incurring injuries and burns requiring continuous hospital treatment over the past seven weeks,” she said.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.