Warning over 'silent killer' as three Sydney residents hospitalised

·News Editor
·2-min read

Firefighters are warning Australians of the dangers of indoor heaters after saving the lives of three people who were pulled from their Sydney home on Monday night.

A man and woman in their 70s, and a man aged about 50, were found inside the home in Rosehill in Sydney’s west just before 10.30pm.

They had suffered carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty indoor heater that was leaking gas.

The occupants were “extremely unwell”, Fire and Rescue NSW said. One was unconscious while the other two were barely conscious.

Paramedics push a stretcher carrying a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Three occupants were treated at the scene before being transported to hospital. Source: ABC News

All three were transported to hospital after being treated at the scene.

“Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas that can render a person unconscious and prove deadly if allowed to build up in a confined space,” FRNSW said.

“FRNSW encourages the public to ensure heaters are regularly maintained.”

In July, six people were hospitalised after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning at a home in Merrylands.

Four adults and two boys were rushed to hospital displaying signs of drowsiness and nausea after using a charcoal barbecue to heat up their home.

The incident prompted a further warning from officials to never bring outdoor heaters inside or use charcoal beads for heating in confined spaces.

Tourists killed by carbon monoxide poisoning

Three American tourists fell victim to carbon monoxide poisoning in May while staying at a luxury resort in the Bahamas.

The cause of death took weeks to confirm, after the guests’ bodies were mysteriously found in their rooms.

Two couples – who were holidaying separately – were staying in rooms next door to each other.

Only one woman survived, waking up to find she couldn’t move. She was saved after screaming for help.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.