Parents are being reminded about the danger of young kids going barefoot outside ahead of what's expected to be a scorching summer.
Images shared on social media by CPR Kids, which offers first-aid training for Aussie families, shows the painful aftermath of wearing no shoes on a hot day and "just how easily" little feet can burn.
The pictures were provided by the toddler's mother who said her 18-month-old daughter had been playing barefoot on the concrete at daycare. The little one's feet ended up covered in blisters after being burnt from the hot ground.
"Outdoor play is essential for our kids, just be aware that surfaces such as concrete can become very hot," CPR Kids founder Sarah Hunstead told Yahoo News Australia. "When playing on surfaces such as this, make sure the kids have shoes on," she warned.
Scary reality of ground temperature on hot day
According to Kidsafe, a child is at risk of a burn when a surface exceeds 50 degrees Celsius and when the skin is heated to 45 degrees for a prolonged period. Alarmingly, the ground's temperature on a hot day can greatly exceed this in some parts of Australia.
Putting it to the test, CPR Kids measured the ground's temperate in Sydney's southwest last summer, where can get up to 10 degrees hotter than the city or coastal suburbs. "These [photos] were taken at 1.30 pm on Sunday 24th January last year when the outdoor temperature was 38 degrees Celcius," they explained showing the concrete temperature rising to over 67 degrees, while brick surfaces exceeded 68 degrees.
"At surface temperatures greater than 50ºC, tender young skin can be burned severely within seconds and may require surgery," Kidsafe explains. "As well as the ground, many playground surfaces and equipment (including plastic parts) can exceed these temperatures when there is low humidity and sunny, warm weather."
Aussie toddlers' horrific injuries
Last year, a toddler suffered second-degree burns on her leg, foot, fingers and knee, and first-degree burns on her arms after taking a tumble on a hot, metal surface at a playground. And previously a Queensland mum unleashed on her local council after an incident at a waterpark left her 18-month-old daughter with second-degree burns to her feet.
Pet owners are also being warned ahead of summer as dogs paws can easily burn on hot pavement, asphalt or even sand.
Love Australia's weird and wonderful environment? Get our new weekly newsletter showcasing the week’s best stories.