Urgent recall for Target toy due to deadly choking hazard

·News Reporter
·2-min read

A popular sensory toy for children sold at Target has been urgently recalled over fears it may be a choking hazard for small children.

The Early Learning Centre Little Senses Lights and Sounds Shape Sorter has a defect with its red sorting cube, which can lead to severe injury or death, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has warned.

The red cube, which has a clear top, may break, releasing a small ball which can pose a choking hazard for young children.

The Early Learning Centre Little Senses Lights & Sounds Shape Sorter toy sold at Target
The Early Learning Centre Little Senses Lights & Sounds Shape Sorter toy sold at Target has been recalled. Source: Amazon

The toy, designed for infants from 6 months to 36 months, may not comply with the size requirements of the mandatory standard for toys for children up to and including that age.

All products sold in Target between February 6 and August 30 this year have been impacted by the recall.

What should you do

The ACCC has warned consumers who have purchased this toy to immediately remove the red cube from the product and safely dispose of this part only.

Consumers should immediately remove the red cube from the product and safely dispose of this part only. Source: ACCC
Consumers should immediately remove the red cube from the product and safely dispose of this part only. Source: ACCC

Consumers who have purchased this product from Target should contact the store to request a replacement cube, free of charge. You can order a replacement cube via TargetRecalls@target.com.au.

If consumers purchased the product from a place other than Target, you can contact Modern Brands Customer Service on 1800 675 772, via email at sales@modernbrands.com.au or go to www.modernbrands.com.au

Popular children's thongs previously recalled

In May, another popular children's item was recalled over a commonly feared item which could also potentially come loose.

The button battery compartment on the Caprice Australia’s light-up thongs, shoppers were warned, could be exposed over time, leaving the dangerous component accessible, the recall notice said.

If ingested, children may suffer severe internal burn injuries, which can result in serious illness or death.

Button batteries also pose a choking hazard to young children.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.