'Could have gone blind': TikToker's scary warning after standard wax

·2-min read

A TikToker has detailed the terrifying moment she almost lost her sight after contracting an infection when using an eyebrow wax.

Courtney King shared the shocking story, revealing that a dirty pair of dirty tweezers apparently caused the staph infection. 

"If I didn’t go to hospital when I did I could have gone blind in one eye or worse," she captioned the scary story.

The woman contracted an infection after an eyebrow wax. Source: TikTok
The woman contracted an infection after an eyebrow wax. Source: TikTok

Woke up with an inflamed eye

In the video Ms King explained that she had got an eyebrow wax, then woke up the next morning to find the area had swollen.

"My eye was so inflamed I went to the hospital," she explained. "The hospital admitted me for surgery straight away." 

After her surgery, a doctor explained she had 'bacterial bugs' under her skin, and had contracted a staph infection, allegedly due to dirty tools used during the wax.

"I can now never get my eyebrows waxed/threaded/plucked again," she wrote.

"I'd been getting my eyebrows done since I was 12," Ms King continued in a comment. "The surgeon had to send some of the bacteria off for testing and it came back as golden staph."

Users couldn't believe the TikToker's story.

"New fear unlocked," declared one woman,

"This salon sounds like a huge health risk," wrote another. "Hope you're okay."

The woman didn't say where she lived or where she received the eyebrow wax in the TikTok.

What is a staph infection?

According to Health Direct, a staph infection is caused if the staphylococcus aureus (staph) bacteria enters the body and multiplies.

The website states that many people carry a lot of different strains of staph bacteria either on the surface of their skin or in their nose, and in most cases they do not cause any problems.

There are many different types of staph infection, ranging from boils to blood poisoning, and some are resistant to common antibiotics.

The bacteria can also be transmitted from person to person, and sometimes live on objects long enough to transfer to the next person who touches them.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting