Motorsport fans have been dealt a major blow with confirmation that this year's Australasian Safari will be the last held in WA.
The decision, announced yesterday by event director Justin Hunt, comes after Tourism WA decided to end its financial support for the event.
It denied the decision was linked to the death of a competitor in last year's event.
"The return on Tourism WA's investment did not make it viable for us to take up the further three-year contract option," Eventscorp executive director Gwyn Dolphin said.
Mr Dolphin said it had been a difficult decision to make, given the professionalism of the event's management and the vibrancy the safari brought to the places it travelled through.
He said it was understandable motorsport fans would be disappointed.
This year's event, the seventh in WA, will begin in Geraldton on September 20 and travel around the Mid West and Murchison.
It will finish in Kalbarri on September 27.