A teenage boy has died after eating popcorn at the movies and suffering a severe allergic reaction, an inquest has found.
Ruben Bousqet, 14, went into anaphylactic shock while at the Odeon iMax cinema in southeast London in April last year, the BBC reports.
An inquest into Ruben’s death on Wednesday heard he was allergic to raw eggs, cow’s milk and soya.
He was with his parents at the movies on April 18, 2019, when he suffered an allergic reaction after eating the popcorn.
His EpiPen had been left at home and his family rushed back to get it but they were too late.
They were just three minutes from home when Ruben collapsed, needing CPR.
Ruben was rushed to hospital where doctors said he had suffered “irretrievable” brain damage.
The inquest heard he had eaten the same brand of popcorn before as it was advertised to be ‘allergen-free’.
But coroner Andrew Harris said at some stage Ruben’s popcorn had become cross-contaminated with milk.
"Ruben was under the impression it was free of allergens and had he asked staff then that is what they would have believed too,” Mr Harris told the inquest.
Mr Harris said Thomas Tucker Ltd, which did food for Odeon before the contract was terminated, failed to carry out proper risk assessments when changing factory locations.
Thomas Tucker Ltd has since gone into administration.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.