A mother has denied neglecting her child despite the boy nearly dying.
But police claim he had ingested a cocktail of drugs.
The mother - who can not be named for legal reasons - took her two year old to Sydney’s Nepean Hospital in December, telling medical staff he had accidentally consumed paint thinner.
It was a life threatening lie, according to police.
The boy was airlifted to the Sydney Children’s hospital at Randwick as his condition deteriorated.
There, tests showed he had ingested a potentially deadly mix of illicit drugs.
Police raided a South Penrith home before the 36-year-old mother was charged with two counts of child neglect.
On Tuesday she pleaded not guilty to both charges at the Penrith Local Court.
As the mother’s lawyer builds her defence, she has been freed on strict bail.
The child is no longer in her care but he is believed to be making a slow recovery.
The matter will return to court in July.