The surprising truth behind ‘cursed’ stone on Melbourne footpath

A mysterious message carved in a footpath in the inner suburbs of Melbourne has raised questions over what it means and who is responsible.

A reddit user posted an image of the stone which reads "a curse upon the removal of this slab as it finally lays to rest. Witnessed December 1, 1989" online on Friday.

“Any clue what the history is behind this? Found on High street, Armadale,” she asked.

The slab located near the corner of Kooyong Rd and High St has long been a point of conversation among locals fascinated by the ominous message.

The infamous message engraved in the footpath is located at Kooyong Rd and High St in Armadale. Source: Reddit

It turns out the dark message was a tongue in cheek jab at ongoing construction in the area that had impacted several local businesses negatively at the time.

In 2011, the Herald Sun ran an image of the stone asking locals to help solve the mystery.

A woman named Lynette Thorburn came forward, taking joint responsibility for the stone she said was placed in the area with the help of chairman of the High St Traders Association Eugene Nottermans.

Mr Nottermans and Ms Thorburn, who worked in public relations, curated the slab in a mild protest against council workers, electrical companies and water suppliers who had dug up the foot path a reported nine times over 12 months.

The 'cursed' message has intrigued passers by in Melbourne since 1989. Source: Reddit

Despite the cheeky message, the ‘curse’ of the stone almost came to fruition when a grand function inviting neighbouring mayors to officially lay the stone almost ended in tragedy.

“I invited the mayors of Prahran and Malvern to co-operate to jointly lay the stone at what was the border of both areas," Ms Thorburn told the Herald Sun.

During the event, a car drifted off the road and slammed into the front of the National Bank in front of shocked attendees.

"It also knocked over a water hydrant, resulting in chaos. Police arrived and traffic was stopped in both directions, which rather stymied the mayors and everyone else getting to the site on time," Ms Thorburn added.

The stone was eventually laid where it stands today, where it has become part of the areas local history.

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.