Couple who were together for 65 years die on the same day

A couple who had been together for nearly 65 years have died on the same day at a nursing home.

Jack and Harriet Morrison's beds were placed next to each other in their final hours at the St. Louis-area home, allowing them to hold hands, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

Eighty-six-year-old Jack died first. Harriett, who was 83, died later on January 11.

"I’m sad. But I know they’re at peace and they’re back together," Sue Wagener, a niece raised by the Morrisons, said.

“It truly was a love story for the books.”

St Louis couple Jack and Harriet Morrison pictured here in November 2019. Source: Courtesy of Sue Wagener via AP

The couple went on their first date on Halloween of 1955.

"They went to a little diner and never separated from that day on," Ms Wagener said.

They married about six months later.

They met as Harriett accompanied her father on a trip with the drum and bugle corp he played in.


Jack was behind the wheel of a charter bus that drove the group to some of its concerts.

Together, the couple ran and grew V-K Bus Lines while raising Ms Wagener and their two sons.

They were active Moolah Shriners, a fraternal order devoted to philanthropy, and travelled the world next to each other, often on Shrine-related trips, including to Europe and Australia.

"You didn’t see Jack unless you saw Harriet," fellow Shriner Wayne Price said.

The pair went on their first date on Halloween in 1955. Source: Courtesy of Sue Wagener via AP

About a year ago, Harriet tripped while walking their dog, breaking her pelvis and hip, Ms Wagener said.

She had dementia, and moved into The Woodlands of Arnold nursing home and rehabilitation centre.

Meanwhile, Jack was having trouble living at home.

Ms Wagener said she talked him into moving into a villa at the Woodlands in May.

In September, he also fell, breaking his neck. He then moved into the nursing home, four doors down the hall from his wife.

Even then, they would nap together, one in a wheelchair, the other in bed — their hands intertwined.

"Some days she knew him; other days she didn’t," Ms Wagener said.

Ms Wagener said she told Jack on Christmas Eve Harriet had stopped eating and drinking. He barely ate or drank after that.

About 11pm on January 10, she got a call from a nurse saying Harriet appeared close to death.

The nurse asked if staff could move furniture out of Jack’s room so the couple could be together.

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.