Shock twist in search for missing Queensland woman

Julie was on holiday in South Australia with her husband when she suddenly vanished.

A Queensland woman who vanished while on holiday with her husband has been found safe after she was spotted by a resident "wandering" out of a scrub asking for water.

Julie, 48, was last seen at about 5pm on May 7 at an address in Streaky Bay, South Australia where the couple was visiting, with her sudden disappearance prompting an extensive five-day police search.

Missing Queensland woman Julie Schutt CCTV
Queensland woman Julie was last seen on CCTV walking out of a town in South Australia. Source SA Police

Missing woman 'in scrub for some time'

SA Police said Ms Schutt was found north-west of Streaky Bay on Sunday morning days after authorities scaled back the search.

Superintendent Paul Bahr said police received a call just after 8am on Sunday from a member of the public who was north-west of the area to say they had found a person "wandering out of the scrub" asking for water.

"We had a search vehicle nearby, they attended, they located the woman and identified her as the missing woman Julie," Superintendent Paul Bahr said.

"She is safe and well, although requiring perhaps some medical attention. It appears she has been in the scrub for some time."

Missing Queensland woman Julie Schutt with husband Clifford at Ayres Rock
Julie was on holiday in South Australia with her husband Clifford when she disappeared. Source: SA Police

Tearful plea from husband

Police and Ms Schutt's family held concerns for her welfare, with her initial movements being captured on CCTV. She was last seen walking down a street and out of town — an area she didn't know.

The sudden disappearance prompted a tearful plea from her husband, Clifford, who told 9 News on Friday he was "falling apart".

"It‘s just completely bewildering why she … yeah we just don’t know what’s happened," he said.

Superintendent Bahr said the family had been advised of the news and they would be "reunited", ABC reported. "It is good news, that search has been quite a long one. It's been going now for seven days. To have a positive outcome is a great piece of news."

The discovery comes just days after police confirmed the search would be scaled back.

with NCA Newswire

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.