Queensland ‘unlikely’ to exit lockdown by Sunday

·News Reporter
·2-min read

Queensland’s snap lockdown is unlikely to end on Sunday afternoon, according to health experts.

UNSW Professor Mary-Louise McLaws, who is a World Health Organisation advisor, told Channel Nine's the Today show on Tuesday she does not expect the current lockdown affecting the state’s southeast to end as scheduled at 4pm on Sunday.

“It is probably unlikely,” Professor McLaws told the program.

People are seen walking near the Brisbane CBD after lockdown.
A man walks near the Brisbane CBD after lockdown was announced on the weekend. Source: Getty Images

Professor McLaws added health authorities will be undergoing sewage testing for evidence of how far Covid-19 has spread and they have a “huge job” of testing parents of children at several Brisbane schools affected by the virus.

“You would notice that they went into lockdown or they called a lockdown on the second day," she said.

“Because Brisbane is a very interconnected socially city and a lot of those parents are healthcare workers as well, which has an enormous impact on elective surgery as well."

“So it is unlikely for them to lift all restrictions on the weekend.”

A Covid-19 closure sign on the gate of the Brisbane Grammar School.
Brisbane Grammar School seen locked down. Source: AAP

Currently, Brisbane, Ipswich, Logan City, Moreton Bay, Redlands, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Noosa, Somerset, Lockyer Valley and Scenic Rim remain under lockdown.

It was originally planned for the lockdown to end on Tuesday at 4pm but 13 new local cases on Monday has seen it extended to Sunday at 4pm.

Seven of the state’s cases are attached to Ironside State School.

Another is an Indooroopilly State High School student and a University of Queensland student who had been tutoring her.

Residents are seen inside the Roma Street City Backpackers Hostel in Brisbane.
Residents at the Roma Street City Backpackers Hostel in Brisbane during lockdown. Source: AAP

Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young told reporters on Monday health authorities are trying to determine how Queensland’s latest outbreak emerged.

“I don’t know where the missing link is,” she said, explaining that the outbreak appears to have come from two people with Delta who arrived from overseas on June 29.

“Subsequently, those two people were found to have the Delta variant with a particular whole genome sequence, and now this outbreak, 29 additional people later, are all clustering with those two.”

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting