Chef's jaw broken after hit and run by taxi in Sydney street

A young chef who was allegedly run down by a taxi and left lying in agony in a Sydney street, remains in a serious but stable condition in hospital.

Kelly Jeon was struck on Elizabeth Street in Waterloo around 11.30pm on Wednesday night, with the callous cabbie seen getting out of the car before allegedly driving away without offering to help.

Ms Jeon had just finished her shift at a Barangaroo bar when she was mowed down, with her friend Quinton Lee finding her lying in the street with two bystanders helping until paramedics arrived.

Police at the Waterloo scene. Picture: 7 News
The victim's friend Quinton Lee. Picture: 7 News

“I was calling her and I heard the accident sound ‘cos I live not too far from the accident place,” Mr Lee said.

“Then I just walked out and I was just calling her, calling her and she didn’t answer.

“And then I found her on the floor.”

Police are looking for a taxi similar to this one, with front end damage. Picture: 7 News

The 23-year-old chef was rushed to the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and has undergone surgery to repair her broken jaw.

“We’re lucky this time it’s not a fatal, but the driver of the taxi will be aware they have come in contact with somebody or something,” Acting inspector Naomi Lyall said.

Mr Lee helped show police how he found his friend in the street. Picture: 7 News

“It will be much better for the driver to come forward and assist us, than us track them down.”

The taxi is believed to be a silver Toyota Camry with significant front end damage, and was last seen heading west on McEvoy Street.

Kelly Jeon has undergone surgery on her jaw and will need extensive dental work. Picture: 7 News

Police say the driver did stop for a few seconds but then took off without bothering to help Ms Jeon.

“She lose her teeth and broke her jaw, and the thigh skin taken off,” Mr Lee said.

Police at the crash scene. Picture: 7 News

Ms Jeon still requires extensive dental work to fix her broken teeth. She and Mr Lee had only been in Sydney for six months after arriving from Korea.

Police want to hear from anyone who can help identify the taxi driver.

Anyone with information should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.