'100 per cent': Police convinced they have Madeleine McCann's killer

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

The mystery behind what happened to Madeleine McCann more than a decade ago could be a step closer to being solved with police convinced they have their man.

German police last year identified a 44-year-old man as a suspect in Madeleine’s disappearance from Ocean Club resort in Praia da Luz, in Portugal’s Algarve region, in 2007.

That man was named as convicted rapist Christian Brueckner.

Prosecutors are now confident they will now be able to charge him over Madeleine's death in 2022.

Madeleine McCann, 3, is pictured. Also pictured is Christian Brueckner, 44.
Christian Brueckner, 44, is the main suspect in the disappearance of Madeleine McCann. Source: AAP

German prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters told The Mirror on Friday police have the evidence to charge Brueckner.

Mr Wolters said among the evidence police have includes “circumstantial evidence” – a “confession” Brueckner made, and phone analysis which shows he was at the Ocean Club when the toddler vanished.

He said it is possible Brueckner will be charged next year over alleged crimes in Portugal.

Police are “100 per cent convinced” Brueckner killed Madeleine. Mr Wolters said it is not known how she died.

However, Mr Wolters said since their suspect is behind bars they will take more time to gather as much evidence as possible before bringing forward a case to prosecute him.

Police arrive at an allotment as officers continue to search the area in relation to the disappearance of Madeleine McCann in Hanover, Germany.
Police continue to search an allotment in Hanover, Germany in relation to the disappearance of Madeleine McCann. Source: AAP

He added they have no DNA evidence linking Brueckner to Madeleine’s murder but said there “is no hope” she is alive despite prosecutors having no proof she is dead.

Brueckner has denied the allegations.

He wrote a letter titled the "press release of Mr Christian Brueckner" slamming the accusations against him and the prosecutors who have made them, German media Bilt reported.

The letter, dated May 8, was accompanied by a cartoon drawing poking fun of two prosecutors.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting