'Strong new evidence' in disappearance of Madeleine McCann

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

"Strong new evidence" has emerged in the disappearance of three-year-old Madeleine McCann, prosecutors have revealed.

In an interview with The Sun this week, German prosecutor Hans Christian Walters said the new information could lead to charges being placed against the prime person of interest, Christian Brueckner, by Christmas.

Brueckner, 44, a convicted rapist, was named as the sole suspect in the disappearance of the British girl by German authorities last year.

"We have strong new evidence against the suspect," Mr Walters told the publication.

Christian Brueckner and Madeline McCann
The information could lead to charges being placed against the prime suspect Christian Brueckner by Christmas, prosecutors say.

"The investigation is proceeding well and we hope to have an update soon.

"I cannot say when for certain but we are working very hard to solve this case and others where he is a suspect."

Madeleine vanished 14 years ago at the age of three in the Portuguese holiday town of Praia da Luz.

Brueckner is in jail for the 2005 rape of an elderly woman in the same town.

The Sun reports that police are also investigating his alleged involvement in other assaults that occurred in Praia da Luz when the 44-year-old lived there from 2002 to 2008.

Police officers dig in a garden plot in Hannover, northern Germany, during the investigation of the Madeleine 'Maddie' McCann case. Source: EPA/AAP
Police officers dig in a German garden plot during the investigation of the Madeleine 'Maddie' McCann case. Source: EPA/AAP

Madeleine McCann suspect releases letter from jail

Brueckner broke his silence from jail in June.

He penned a letter titled the "press release of Mr Christian Brueckner" slamming the accusations against him and the prosecutors who have made them, German media Bilt reported.

The letter, dated May 8, was accompanied by a cartoon drawing poking fun of two prosecutors.

"Charging someone with a crime is one thing," he begins.

"It is something completely different, namely an unbelievable scandal, when a public prosecutor starts a public prejudicial campaign before proceedings are even opened."

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting