The nine backpackers who overdosed on a date-rape drug in Perth have issued an apology to Australia.
The foreign nationals have broken their silence and promised to pay the bill for the hospital treatment that ultimately saved their lives.
"It was the most stupid mistake probably we ever did in our life," one male backpacker revealed.
Five days after they were rushed to hospital following a mass overdose inside a Victoria Park property, four of the nine backpackers have revealed their side of the bizarre story.
The four backpackers asked to remain anonymous, partly down to the fact they are yet to tell their parents what happened.
"You can't move your legs, you can't move nothing," one female said. "You can't speak, you can't say help us."
They thought the drug was cocaine after discovering a white powder in their mailbox.
But tests proved it was hyoscine - a motion sickness medicine that's sometimes used illegally as a date rape drug.
Within five minutes the fellow travellers were paralysed and hallucinating. A friend arrived in time to call triple-0.
"She saved our lives, really, I don't know how many times I could say thanks to this girl," one said.
The last of the nine backpackers has been in a critical condition for five days. On Sunday morning he woke up, and is now stable.
The WA government believes they should pay for their medical bills, which could run into the thousands.
The backpackers say they will pay the costs.
"Of course we have to pay for the mistake that we did. There's no point that the taxpayer has to pay for us, we have to pay," one said.
"We have to pay and we are going to pay."
The group say repaying is the least they can do to thank the paramedics, police and hospital staff who saved them.
"Thanks to Australia thanks to all the people that were in some way close to us during this time. And sorry again."
And they say they've learned an old lesson the hard way.
"Don't do it. Don't take drugs."