Paramedics treat toddlers after they 'drank chemicals' at daycare

Brooke Rolfe
·News Reporter
·1-min read

Emergency services called to a daycare centre have treated a dozen children after they were mistakenly given a drink with chemicals inside. 

Paramedics were called to the centre in Caulfield, in Melbourne's southeast, just before 3.30pm on Wednesday. 

Fire Rescue Victoria reportedly treated multiple children who were suffering a reaction to an "unknown substance".

Ambulances are seen outside the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney, Thursday, September 6, 2018. (AAP Image/Joel Carrett) NO ARCHIVING
A dozen children were treated after ingesting chemicals at a Melbourne daycare. Source: File/AAP

Firefighters arrived within six minutes and determined there was no Hazmat risk, 7News reported. 

They suspected the reaction had been caused by a food source. 

Detergent was understood to have been accidentally added to a drink offered to the children. 

Hospital treatment not required

All were treated by paramedics at the scene and none required transport to hospital. 

"No one was taken to hospital after an incident in Caulfield this afternoon," Ambulance Victoria said. 

"Several toddlers were assessed, but all were in a stable condition."

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.