Almost 40,000 homes in Victoria are still without power following heavy rainfall and flooding throughout much of the state.
Speaking at a press conference on Sunday, Victoria's Emergency Management Commissioner Andrew Crisp said about 39,000 homes had no electricity, down from the some 300,000 that were without earlier on during the weather event.
"My thoughts are very much with the 39,000 still of power, and rest assured everything has been going to ensure that those people get back on as soon as possible," he said.
However, Comm Crisp has a stern warning for communities potentially still at risk.
"This is not over yet," he said.
"We have to continue focusing on the potential risk to communities, but at the same time there were some at work going on to get communities and families back to where they want to be, back to normal."
Acting Premier James Merlino echoed his sentiments.
"Whilst the flooding is receding, and we are moving very quickly into relief and recovery, it is not over yet, and there may well be further rain later in the week," he said.
"So pretty mild conditions for the next few days, the possibility of rain in coming days as well which we need to prepare for as best we can."
Mr Merlino said it was a "wild week of weather" for the state, with winds reaching 125km/h and some parts getting 280mm of rain, resulting in flooding.
"We saw firsthand from the helicopter some of the damage, we saw livestock that had sought higher ground to try to escape from the floodwaters," Emergency Services Minister Danny Pearson said.
"Over the coming days we will get a deeper appreciation for the level of damage, but we will be working with local councils, we would be working with local communities to give them the support they need to get back on their feet."
As at 12.37pm, there were moderate flood warnings in place for Latrobe River Yallourn to Traralgon Creek, and Thomson River downstream of Wandocka and Sale.
Immediate relief available to communities
The state and federal government will be providing immediate relief, food, clothing, shelter and hardship grants of up to $2000 per family for those impacted by the flooding.
Mr Merlino said adults would receive $560 and each child would get $280.
"This is jointly funded between the state government and the federal government and I want to thank the Commonwealth for the speed in which they've engaged with the state so we can make the announcement of the emergency reestablishment assistance in their households," he said.
According to the ABC, the SES has more than 30,000 requests for assistance which are still outstanding — many of which are in the Lilydale, Emerald and Maroondah areas and in Woodend and the Hepburn Shire.
Two people have died in the dangerous conditions which started on Wednesday.
A young woman was found in a vehicle in floodwaters at Glenfyne, 200km southwest of Melbourne, on Friday, and a man's body was found in his submerged car at the Gippsland town of Woodside on Thursday.
Two State Emergency Service volunteers were hospitalised during recovery works, with one suffering a broken shoulder blade and the other a broken wrist.
It remains unclear how many properties have been damaged by the storm.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com