Nigerian denies role in murder

A Nigerian man linked to the suspicious death of Wagin great-grandmother Jette Jacobs has protested his innocence in an internet post, claiming he had nothing to do with her death in South Africa and did not steal her money.

It came as WA police revealed two other women have told them they had contact with Jesse Orowo Omokoh, the 28-year-old man who Ms Jacobs had travelled to South Africa to marry after they met on an online dating site.

Ms Jacobs, 67, was found dead in a Johannesburg guesthouse on February 9 and her jewellery and money were missing.

Mr Omokoh was the last person to see her alive and told police he discovered her body.

It is believed South African police first thought Ms Jacobs had taken her own life because empty pill packets were found nearby, but they now suspect she met with foul play.

In internet posts this week responding to a South African news report about Ms Jacobs' death and claims Mr Omokoh had disappeared, a man purporting to be Mr Omokoh denied any crime.

"I am shocked and confused about this whole story of me murdering Jette and even taking her money," he wrote.

"I never scammed Jette and had no intentions of doing that."

WA police believe Mr Omokoh was the author of the posts because the writing was "consistent" with text messages he sent to a friend of Ms Jacobs.

Major fraud squad Det-Sen. Const. Robert Martin said Mr Omokoh had failed to mention that Ms Jacobs had sent him about $120,000 since striking up a relationship with him online three years ago.

He said police were also not aware of any evidence to suggest Ms Jacobs had planned to take her own life, despite Mr Omokoh's assertions she had sent him a text saying "she will take all her pills and just die off" because she was hurt that he was mad at her.

Mr Omokoh also tried to divert suspicion on to Isaac Addo, a man from Ghana who Ms Jacobs had also become friends with via the internet.

He claimed Mr Addo had tried to get money from Ms Jacobs and had also seen her in South Africa in the days before her death.

Fraud squad detectives investigating online scams are waiting for more information from the women - one in the Eastern States and one in the US - who also had contact with Mr Omokoh to find out whether they sent him money or met him.

Ms Jacobs' son, who did not want his name revealed, said his family believed his mother was killed and she was not the sort to take her own life.

He said the family were hurt and angered by Mr Omokoh's posts and wanted him to help police if he was innocent, adding it was too late to help his mother but his family wanted to try to stop other people falling victim to scammers.

South African police are still waiting for toxicology results to establish how Ms Jacobs died.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting