Why you should never try to catch a snake yourself

A Sunshine Coast snake catcher has revealed why you should never try and catch the reptiles yourself.

Stuart McKenzie, from The Snake Catcher 24/7 Sunshine Coast, shared photos of what happened when a man tried to catch a carpet python in his backyard on Saturday with a metal pole.

When Mr McKenzie was finally called in to help, he found a gravely injured reptile.

He said the man had tried to pin the slithering python down with a metal pole.

A Sunshine Coast man tried to catch a slithering carpet python with a metal pole on Saturday, but reportedly fatally injured the reptile. Source: Facebook/The Snake Catcher 24/7 Sunshine Coast

The snake suffered a gaping wound, which exposed the flesh underneath.

Unfortunately veterinarians were unable to save the python and later died.

“It was taken to the Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital straight away,” Mr McKenzie told Yahoo7.

“They did everything they could.

“Not sure of the cause of death but I can nearly guarantee it was from the injuries caused from the guy pinning it with a pole.”

The snake was injured by the metal pole and its skin was split open revealing the pink flesh underneath. Source: Facebook/The Snake Catcher 24/7 Sunshine Coast

Mr McKenzie warned the public to refrain from catching snakes by themselves.

“The main message is just don’t do it,” he said.

Mr McKenzie recommends people call a professional snake catcher and gave some interim tips.

“Leave the snake alone and it should hopefully move away by itself,” he said.

“If it’s in a backyard, take your pets and kids away, and always maintain a safe distance from the snake.”

The advice comes as snakes have been found in strange locations across Australia from keeping warm under the bonnet of a car and coiled around a doorstep light.

The snake was rushed to the Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital for treatment, but it later died. Source: Facebook/The Snake Catcher 24/7 Sunshine Coast