A mum-of-three has died while undergoing a beauty procedure when it caused her heart to explode, her brother says.
Claudia Bertoldi, 45, visited an unnamed clinic in Concordia, Argentina, for carboxytherapy, a non-surgical cosmetic treatment during which infused carbon dioxide is injected into the skin.
It promotes blood flow and increase the skin’s elasticity to reduce the appearance of cellulitis and treat stretch marks. It also has a necrotising effect on fat tissue.
The exact date of Ms Bertoldi’s is unclear, but it was first reported on Sunday (local time).
The 45-year-old was undergoing her second session of carboxytherapy at the centre.
Ms Bertoldi’s brother Claudio Bertoldi, who has reported the centre for malpractice, said his sister had “spectacular health and an enormous vitality”.
He spoke to local broadcaster Canal 5 Noticias (C5N) claiming his “sister was killed” after staff “administered carbon dioxide intravenously” which made her heart “explode”.
Claudio was also critical of the staff that committed the “fatal error”, which he claimed “were not trained” to carry out the procedure and that it should have been done “by a specialist”.
Although the victim’s final autopsy report will not be finalised until later this week, the strongest hypothesis is she died after carbon dioxide was introduced into a vein which instantly killed her when it reached her heart.
The centre is being investigated to make sure it was legally conducting its practices and had the appropriate staff to carry them out.
Local newspaper MinutoUno reported computers, security camera footage, equipment used in the procedure, agendas and other items of interest have been taken from the centre for the investigation.
Claudio says the incident “ruined a family” after taking a mum from her three children aged 5, 12 and 21.
Ms Bertoldi was also reported to have been married.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.