An Adelaide mum said she nearly died while trying to eat her pub dinner.
Lisa Heaven told 7News she was eating with friends at the Marion Hotel in Adelaide’s south last month when she began to choke.
She had been eating beef rib when some of it became lodged in her throat.
Ms Heaven tried to wash it down with wine but it didn’t work. Friends slapped her on the back, but that didn’t work either.
“I thought I was going to die, I really did,” Ms Heaven told the channel.
Hotel manager Anna Hurley saw Ms Heaven struggling to breathe and called Triple-0.
She told emergency services: “her lips are going blue”.
Using forceps, paramedics removed the obstruction from her throat. They took only six minutes to arrive.
According to Red Cross, if a person is choking use “five back blows, using the heel of one hand, between the person’s shoulder blades”.
If that doesn’t work, use five chest thrusts by pushing the heel of the hand into the lower part of the breastbone.
If neither of these work, call Triple-0.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.