• 450g unsalted butter, softened
• 450g or 2 cups caster sugar
• 1 tbs vanilla extract
• 6 eggs
• 450g or 3½ cups regular plain flour or gluten free plain flour
• 1½ tbs baking powder
• Pink colouring
Strawberry Buttercream Icing Ingredients
• 300g icing sugar mixture, sifted
• 280g unsalted butter, softened
• 2 – 3 tbs cooled strawberry puree (150g fresh strawberries + 1 tbs caster sugar)
1. Preheat oven to 180c and line a greased 25 x 30 cm rectangular baking tin with baking paper.
2. Make strawberry puree by combining strawberries and sugar in a saucepan and simmering over low heat for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool and then blitz to a puree.
3. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and creamy in a mixer. Add eggs one at a time with mixer running.
4. Add flour and baking powder and mix until just combined. Split the mixture between two bowls to create a white batter and pink batter. Add pink colouring into one bowl for a pink batter.
5. Using a large spoon place a large dollop of each batter in the tin and create a swirl pattern by gently running a butter knife through the batter in a twirly pattern.
6. Bake cake in the oven for 40 – 45 min or until skewer comes out clean. Cool completely.
7. To make the buttercream beat butter with whisk attachment for 5 min until fluffy. Slowly add in the icing sugar until fully incorporated. Add strawberry puree at room temperature and beat for a few seconds until just combined (don’t beat puree too long or it may curdle). Spread icing over cooled cake.