Two potential Covid-19 cases have emerged in Melbourne's north, putting Victoria's Covid-free streak at risk.
The Department of Health confirmed on Monday morning it had detected two 'likely cases' in the city's north and investigations were underway.
The two cases are linked, health authorities say. They are both in isolation and are being interviewed.
Earlier this month an infection was detected in Wollert in Melbourne's north, putting the city on high alert. However there were no subsequent cases detected in the following days. The man had previously undergone hotel quarantine in South Australia.
It is unclear if the new cases are linked to that particular case.
He had attended the Epping North store on May 8 but the public was informed he had visited the Epping store, four kilometres away.
Ten of 13 close contacts linked to the updated exposure site have returned negative Covid-19 tests, the ABC reported.
Victorian Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton on Friday said there may be an active but undiagnosed infectious case in Melbourne's north, after traces were picked up in wastewater in the Epping and Wollert area on Thursday.
The earlier case was deemed as being acquired interstate, meaning it did not end the state's run of days without community cases.
Prior to Monday's likely cases, the state had gone 87 days without a local case.
In the previous 24 hours, 11,257 tests were performed.
Addressing reporters on Monday as she announced NSW's daily Covid-19 update, Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said Victoria's cases "provides a warning" to the nation "the risk is ever present".
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org