Parents suing over toddler's death after swallowing battery

Grieving parents have launched legal action over their toddler's death from swallowing a button battery.

Allison and Robert Rees are suing battery company Energiser Australia, as well as Sunshine Hospital for the way it treated Isabella, before x-rays finally revealed the battery was stuck in her throat.

In the three years since the 14-month old died, her parents have been campaigning for tougher rules on button battery packaging.

Mrs Rees is still reeling after the loss of her daughter to a button battery. Source: 7 News
Mrs Rees is still reeling after the loss of her daughter to a button battery. Source: 7 News
Isabella died three years ago. Source: 7 News
Isabella died three years ago. Source: 7 News

“It is three years on but it feels like yesterday. Everything is so vivid and I remember every detail, every last word, everything,” Mrs Rees told News Corp.

“We had a beautiful little girl so full of joy and life. Even when she was sick you couldn’t get a smile off her face.”

The parents claim as a result of being present in the two hours leading up to and including the time of the pronouncement of death, they suffered shock, mental harm, depressions, and anxiety.

Isabella's parents are now suing over her death. Source: 7 News
Isabella's parents are now suing over her death. Source: 7 News

They claim their injuries were caused by the hospital’s negligence and breach of duty in the care, management and treatment of Isabella.

The Rees's say the alleged breach of consumer laws relating to goods with safety defects by Energiser also affected them and contributed Isabella's death.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting