Man breaks Covid rules to drive 560km for a kebab

Josh Dutton and Kamilia Palu
·2-min read

A man is facing a number of charges after he broke Covid restrictions to drive his family more than 500km to buy a kebab.

The man was pulled over in Portishead in England’s southwest on Thursday and told police he had travelled to Exeter from Coventry – a 560km round journey.

“They had travelled to buy a kebab,” police said.

Not only did the man break Covid rules, with his wife and two kids along for the ride, but he also crashed his car on the way home.

A car sits on the side of the road after being involved in an accident while the driver was breaching Covid rules.
The man breached coronavirus restrictions to buy a kebab before crashing his car on the way home. Source: Avon and Somerset Police

Police said he also had no licence or insurance.

England has been under strict coronavirus restrictions since January 5 with people only allowed to leave their homes for essential reasons.

People hit with huge fines for breaching lockdown for food

The Englishman isn’t the only person who has been hungry enough to breach lockdown rules.

Earlier this week another man in England was fined after he was caught driving more than 160 kilometres, claiming he was trying to get to a McDonald’s.

To make matters worse, the man was two hours from home in a town that has no McDonald’s.

He was quickly served with a A$350 fine and his car was seized for lack of insurance.

The lure of the Golden Arches also proved too strong for a Queensland man who was caught at Maccas while he was meant to be self isolating.

A man from Woree, Queensland, breach quarantine directions to go to McDonald's. Source: Queensland Police
A man from Woree, Queensland, breach quarantine directions to go to McDonald's. Source: Queensland Police

Police put him into government accommodation to quarantine for two weeks at his own expense - a whopping $2800.

A Melbourne man was slapped with a $1652 fine for breaching Covid restrictions to visit his favourite Indian restaurant in July last year.

After his story went viral, the restaurant reached out to him to offer a year’s supply of free butter chicken.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.