A 19-year-old man has been charged with murder and rape after a woman was found dead on a Melbourne soccer field.
The body of the woman aged in her 20s, whom police are yet to formally identify, was found by a passer-by in Carlton North about 2.40am on Wednesday.
Paramedics worked on her, but she was not able to be revived.
Homicide squad detectives arrested a 19-year-old Broadmeadows man last night after he handed himself in following media reports.
He has been charged with one count of rape and one count of murder and will appear at Melbourne Magistrates’ Court this morning.
- Couple in tragic fatal cliff fall in Portugal identified
- Uber’s new plan to spy on your mobile phone
- Mum shares confronting photos of daughter who died from measles in vaccine plea
- Toy found in bushland search for missing boy William Tyrrell
- Man seriously injured after falling under Brisbane train
Detective Inspector Andrew Stamper told reporters on Thursday police do not believe the pair were known to one another.
He thanked the public for their assistance with the investigation, saying “The media played a significant role in resolving this matter.”