A number of restrictions will be eased in the Greater Sydney area following concerns over a Covid-19 outbreak about a fortnight ago.
A man in Sydney’s east and his wife both caught Covid-19 at the start of May.
At the time, Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced a number of restrictions including making masks compulsory in supermarkets, indoor events and on public transport.
NSW Health said on Sunday in a statement there had been no further community transmission and as a result the restrictions would be eased from 12.01am on Monday.
“This means limits will be removed on the number of guests allowed to visit private households. Drinking while standing at indoor venues, group singing indoors, and dancing at nightclubs will again be allowed,” NSW Health said.
“Masks will no longer be compulsory on public transport or for customer-facing staff in hospitality venues, however NSW Health continues to strongly encourage their use on public transport and in other settings where physical distancing is not possible.”
Despite the department stating there had been no further cases of community transmission it still remained a mystery how the Sydney man and his wife caught coronavirus.
Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said earlier this month genomic testing linked the man and his wife with a returned traveller from the US at a Darling Harbour quarantine facility.
Dr Chant added there were concerns an undetected intermediary passed it on.
Almost 920,000 Covid-19 vaccines have been administered to date in NSW, including jabs overseen by state and federal governments.
One Covid-19 patient in NSW is currently in intensive care and on a ventilator.
If you're interested in more news from NSW click here.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com