Islamic State hackers have released the personal information of Australian Defence Force workers and their relatives, a Victorian MP and several other public servants – urging home-grown terrorists to attack them in a frightening online breach.
Fairfax Media reports many victims of the hack had no idea their personal information had been released.
Islamic State took to social media to brag about the information dump affecting more than 1400 people.
It's believed at least eight Australians are on the list, which is made up mostly of US military personnel.
Australia’s most senior Islamic State militant, former Melbourne man and terror recruiter Neil Prakash, posted links to the information on social media about 4:30am on Wednesday.
A message from a group called the Islamic State Hacking Division accompanied a spreadsheet of personal details.
It warned “Know that we are in your emails and computer systems, watching and recording your every move”.
"We have your names and addresses, we are in your ... social media accounts”.
"We are extracting confidential data and passing on your personal information to the soldiers of the khilafah [caliphate], who soon with the permission of Allah will strike at your necks in your own lands!"
Fairfax Media reported Australians on the list included a mum employed by the ADF, a Victorian MP, employees and former employees of NSW Health and an Australian National Audit Office employee.
The brother of a Defence force employee and a former Army reservist were also compromised.
The Victorian MP told Fairfax he had contacted the security detail tasked with protecting parliamentarians and was concerned about his family's welfare.
"I'm completely at a loss," he said.
"What do I do? The police probably know less than you and I."
Prakash, a former attendee of the Al-Furqan Islamic Centre in Springvale South, used Twitter to share the hacked information, saying "cyber war got em shook!".
Other prominent militants, including British man Junaid Hussain, who is third on a CIA kill list of Islamic State operatives, also used social media to encourage attacks.
An AFP spokesman told Fairfax they were aware of the claims of a hack.
"As with all matters that could potentially impact safety and security, the AFP will liaise with its federal government and state and territory partner agencies in regard to appropriate activities in response to this,” The spokesman said.
"The safety of members of the Australia community is the main priority of the AFP and its partner agencies.
"It is not appropriate for the AFP to comment further at this stage."