LONDON (Reuters) - Fourth seed Rafael Nadal's pursuit of a third Wimbledon crown was cut short in the fourth round with a heartbreaking 6-3 6-4 3-6 4-6 15-13 defeat by Luxembourger Gilles Muller.
Nadal, one of the pre-tournament favourites, fought back from two sets down and saved four match points in a 135-minute minute fifth set but ultimately buckled under the relentless pressure exerted by an inspired Muller.
Top seed Andy Murray and third seed Roger Federer both eased into the quarter-finals with straight sets wins, while last year's runner up Milos Raonic was pushed to the limit by German Alexander Zverev but ultimately prevailed 4-6 7-5 4-6 7-5 6-1.
Big-serving Czech Tomas Berdych was also taken to five sets by Austrian Dominic Thiem, and awaits either Novak Djokovic or Frenchman Adrian Mannarino in the quarter-finals.
In the women's draw, Johanna Konta defeated Caroline Garcia of France 7-6(3) 4-6 6-4 to become the first British woman to reach the Wimbledon quarter-finals since Jo Durie in 1984.
There was heartbreak for women's top seed Angelique Kerber, who was knocked out by Spaniard Garbine Muguruza, while hard-hitting Latvian Jelena Ostapenko despatched Elina Svitolina to reach the quarter-finals for the first time.
Dane Caroline Wozniacki, seeded fifth this year, was dumped out by American 24th seed Coco Vandeweghe, while Russia's Svetlana Kuznetsova returned to the quarter-finals after a 10-year hiatus by beating Polish ninth seed Agnieszka Radwanska.
Veteran Venus Williams powered past Croatian rookie Ana Konjuh 6-3 6-2, but new mum Victoria Azarenka's comeback hopes were dashed when she was beaten by second seed Simona Halep 7-6(3) 6-2.
Highlights from day seven of the Wimbledon championships on Monday (all times GMT):
1940 DJOKOVIC V MANNARINO MOVED TO TUESDAY
Second seed Novak Djokovic's fourth-round match against Frenchman Adrian Mannarino was moved to Tuesday. The duo were originally scheduled to start on Court One after Rafa Nadal's clash with Gilles Muller.
1935 MULLER STUNS NADAL IN FIVE SET THRILLER
- Luxembourg's Muller dashed fourth seed Nadal's hopes of a third Wimbledon crown, beating the Spaniard 6-3 6-4 3-6 4-6 15-13 in a seesaw battle that lasted four hours and 48 minutes.
- Muller will meet seventh seed Marin Cilic in the quarter-finals.
1835 RAONIC SEES OFF ALEXANDER ZVEREV IN FIVE SETS
- Canadian Milos Raonic, the sixth seed, beat Germany's Alexander Zverev 4-6 7-5 4-6 7-5 6-1 and will face Roger Federer in the quarter-finals.
Nadal beaten by Muller in fourth-round classic
Raonic ousts Alexander Zverev in Wimbledon marathon
Roger sails on as "baby Fed" stays in master's shadow
Berdych downs Thiem in five sets to reach Wimbledon quarters
Muguruza relishing facing 'Spanish' Svetlana
Star quality decides court allocation, say Wimbledon officials
Kerber dethroned as number one but has hope restored
Life is sweet for Kuznetsova, despite absent Dulce
Ostapenko loss seems hard to stomach for Svitolina
Murray reaches Wimbledon quarters for 10th straight year
Rybarikova charges into Wimbledon wonderland
Comfortable Cilic crushes Bautista Agut to reach quarter-finals
Kuznetsova back in quarter-finals after 10-year wait
Halep dashes new mum Azarenka's comeback dreams
Big-hitting Vandeweghe turfs out Wozniacki
Konta becomes first British woman into last eight since 1984
Kerber knocked out by Muguruza, loses number one spot
"Hesitation is fatal": the psychology of the game
Wily veteran Venus powers past rookie Konjuh
Ostapenko makes Wimbledon quarter-finals to keep double dream alive
Don't blame Wimbledon courts for players' tumbles - All England chief
1750 CLASSY FEDERER SKIPS PAST DIMITROV
- Federer, the third seed, beat Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria 6-4 6-2 6-4 in just over an hour and a half.
1725 BERDYCH DUMPS OUT THIEM IN FIVE-SET EPIC
- Czech Tomas Berdych, the men's 11th seed, beat eighth-seeded Austrian Dominic Thiem 6-3 6-7(1) 6-3 3-6 6-3 in a match lasting just under three hours.
- Berdych will meet Frenchman Adrian Mannarino or second seed Novak Djokovic in the quarter-finals.
1603 QUERREY PREVAILS IN BATTLE OF BIG SERVERS
- American Sam Querrey beat South Africa's Kevin Anderson 5-7 7-6(5) 6-3 6-7(11) 6-3 to reach the quarter-finals, where he will face world number one Andy Murray of Britain.
1555 MURRAY MARCHES ON WITH STRAIGHT SETS WIN
- Murray beat Frenchman Benoit Paire 7-6(1) 6-4 6-4 to reach the quarter-finals.
1450 AZARENKA UNDONE BY RUTHLESS HALEP
- New mum Victoria Azarenka's run at Wimbledon was halted by second seed Simona Halep of Romania, who beat the Belarusian 7-6(3) 6-2 to reach the quarter-finals.
- Halep will face Britain's Johanna Konta next.
1425 CILIC CRUISES INTO QUARTERS AFTER DOWNING BAUTISTA-AGUT
- Men's seventh seed Cilic of Croatia beat Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut 6-2 6-2 6-2 to reach the quarter-finals.
1420 KONTA SURVIVES GARCIA SCARE TO REACH QUARTERS
- Sixth-seeded Konta survived a fightback from France's Caroline Garcia to reach the Wimbledon quarter-finals for the first time with a 7-6(3) 4-6 6-4 victory.
- Konta is the first British woman to reach the last eight at Wimbledon since Jo Durie in 1984.
1409 VANDEWEGHE INTO QUARTERS AFTER UPSETTING WOZNIACKI
- American Coco Vandeweghe, seeded 24th, beat fifth seed Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark 7-6(4) 6-4 to reach the quarter-finals.
- Vandeweghe will face Slovakia's Magdalena Rybarikova next.
1315 VENUS MAKES SHORT WORK OF KONJUH
- American Venus Williams, the women's 10th seed, beat Croat Ana Konjuh 6-3 6-2 on Centre Court in a match lasting a shade over an hour.
- Williams, who at 37 is the oldest woman to reach the quarter-finals since Martina Navratilova in 1994, faces hard-hitting Latvian Jelena Ostapenko next.
1308 MUGURUZA INTO QUARTERS AFTER EPIC CLASH WITH KERBER
- Spain's Garbine Muguruza beat top-seeded German Angelique Kerber 4-6 6-4 6-4 to reach the quarter-finals after an enthralling battle that lasted for two hours and 20 minutes.
- Muguruza faces Russian seventh seed Svetlana Kuznetsova next.
1235 RYBARIKOVA BATTLES PAST MARTIC AND INTO QUARTERS
- Slovakia's Rybarikova beat Croat qualifier Petra Martic 6-4 2-6 6-3 to reach the quarter-finals.
1230 OSTAPENKO INTO QUARTERS FOR FIRST TIME
- French Open champion Ostapenko beat Ukrainian Elina Svitolina, the women's fourth seed, 6-3 7-6(6) to reach the quarter-finals of Wimbledon for the first time.
1215 KUZNETSOVA INTO QUARTERS AFTER OUSTING RADWANSKA
- Kuznetsova, the women's seventh seed, beat Polish ninth seed Agnieszka Radwanska 6-2 6-4 to book her place in the quarter-finals.
1030 PLAY BEGINS ON DAY SEVEN
(Compiled by Simon Jennings in Bengaluru; Editing by Mark Heinrich, Ed Osmond and Pritha Sarkar)