A five-year-old boy was allegedly gang-raped by three older boys on a beach earlier this month, police say.
The alleged attack occurred in Napranum, on the northwest coast of Cape York, just after 7pm on July 1.
A Queensland Police Spokesperson told Yahoo News Australia that three boys, aged between 10 and 13, “will be dealt with under the provisions of the Youth Justice Act after the alleged rape of a five-year-old boy earlier this month”.
The boys have reportedly been removed from the community, which has a population of roughly 800, according to The Australian.
Sources told the publication that details of the alleged attack were extremely distressing.
The five-year-old was flown to hospital in Cairns for treatment.
One source told The Australian the alleged rape has tensions running high in the community.
Queensland’s police commissioner Katarina Carroll told The Australian the alleged attack was an “absolute tragedy”.
“Absolute tragedy. It’s been dealt with. We’re working with the community. It shouldn’t happen, and it’s tragic, and it has been investigated.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.