Advertisement

Family left with 'nothing' as their three pets killed in horrific blaze

It is believed the fire was caused by an electrical fault.

A young family have been left with "nothing but the clothes on their backs" after a fire ravaged their home, with "priceless belongings" and pet dogs lost in the blaze.

The fire started around 9.30 am on Monday with NSW firefighters getting to the Wollongbar property —situated in the Northern Rivers region — within half an hour. They managed to prevent the blaze from spreading to neighbouring properties, with the fire reportedly taking five hours to extinguish.

Firefighters extinguish a Wollongbar house fire. The gutted house is seen the roof caved in, windows smashed and blackened walls.
A Wollongbar family have been left with 'nothing' after an electrical fire broke out in their home. Source: Facebook

The family were not inside the property when the fire broke out and instead arrived home to blackened walls, shattered windows and a collapsed roof with the property engulfed in flames.

It is believed the fire was caused by an electrical fault and "insurance will eventually come to the party", resident Ben Briffa wrote online.

Ben Briffa, Ashleigh Newton and their two-year old daughter Myah smile in front of their Christmas tree wearing Christmas PJs (left). Right, the remains of their kitchen with the ceiling collapsed and debris on the floor.
Ben Briffa, Ashleigh Newton and their two-year old daughter Myah came home to find the property completely destroyed. Source: Facebook
The remains of the garage with blackened debris on the floor and the holes in the ceiling.
The family lost all their belongings and three pet dogs in the fire. Source: Facebook

Family 'hurting' after pet dogs die in fire

Ben, his partner Ashleigh Newton and their two-year old daughter Myah lost their three pet dogs, with two dying in the property with the third dying after being rescued by firefighters.

"Our three dogs where inside and all passed on in the fire, anyone that knows us well knows that Polly has pretty much been a child too us for the last 10 years, we're really hurting," Ben said.

Ben's sister Chelsea created a GoFundMe page to help take the "financial burden" off the family who have "lost everything" in the fire, with over $7,000 raised so far.

Despite the tragic turn in events, the family appreciate the situation could have been much worse and are grateful they were not at home when the fire started.

"Things can be replaced and we have each other," Ben said.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and YouTube.