A couple locked out of their new "dream house" by squatters for 15 months have finally moved in — but they're not planning on staying.
Tracie and Myles Albert purchased the $A853,140 home in California in January last year.
However, they were unable to move in after the seller refused to leave and claimed he didn't have to.
He barricaded himself inside and cited the state's freeze on evictions amid the coronavirus pandemic.
"He just said he wasn't leaving, that was it. Wasn't going to leave the house, barricaded himself in the house," Mr Albert previously said.
After more than a year of frustration and seeking help from government agencies and law enforcement, the new homeowners were finally able to move in last week, according to Fox 11.
Neighbours noticed the family of squatters packing a vehicle with their possessions and notified the Alberts on Friday (local time).
The couple was able to get a locksmith in to get access the home, which the squatters had left numerous items in.
Ms Albert previously described the ordeal to Fox Business as "draining, emotionally and financially".
"It's been a hard year," Ms Albert told FOX 11 as she cried while walking through the home.
She admitted that her and her husband are now contemplating selling their "dream home", which they poured their life savings into.
Ms Albert said the struggle to get into their home has tarnished it.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org