Victoria continues to edge closer to double-digit daily coronavirus infections with its lowest total since the peak of the state’s second wave.
However the state’s daily deaths continue to cause alarm, with Thursday’s 23 confirmed deaths just one less than Victoria’s second highest daily toll of 24 on Wednesday.
The Department of Health and Human Services confirmed 113 new cases on Thursday, the lowest since July 5.
The state has recorded 87 deaths in the previous five days, with Victoria’s death toll now at 485 while the national figure sits at 572.
Thursday’s victims are one male in his 60s, one female and four males in their 70s, six females and three males in their 80s and five females and three males in their 90s.
“Sadly, there will be more tomorrow,” Premier Daniel Andrews told reporters on Thursday.
Earlier this week Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton told reporters he hoped daily infections would drop below 100 by next week.
Mr Andrews said the state is “probably ahead of where we might have expected to be”.
Deputy Chief Health Officer Allen Cheng told reporters the state was “keeping a very close eye” on the Casey, Hume, Wyndham, Dandenong and Frankston local government areas.
After widespread backlash, it is understood Mr Andrews is set to revise the proposal to six months in the hopes it will be approved by at least four crossbenchers.
Amid growing frustration from Melburnians over the uncertainty of the length of the current restrictions, Mr Andrews said he was unable to provide a road map to exiting Stage 4.
“I've always said we'll work as hard as we possibly can to provide people with as much notice as possible,” he said.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.