A WA man claims to have narrowly avoided serious injury after biting into a party pie that contained a small metal nail.
The West Australian was enjoying some party food with his family on Saturday before apparently discovering a nail inside his mouth after biting into the pie.
His partner raised the matter with Coles following the incident, having earlier purchased the Patties Party Pack from the supermarket.
“My family was eating this pack of Patties party pies and sausage rolls when my partner was eating one of the pies and bit into it and this little nail was in his mouth,” she wrote to the retailer’s Facebook page.
“What do we do about this? Very scary and we want to either throw out the rest of the pack or return it to you,” she added.
“We won’t be buying this product again.”
The woman shared a photo of the problem party pack and the long thin nail that she claimed ended up in her partner’s mouth.
In comments to her post, other Coles shoppers encouraged her to contact the product’s manufacturer, Patties Foods.
She claimed that she had contacted the company via email.
Yahoo News Australia has contacted Coles for comment.
Patties Foods said it had contacted the customer to investigate the matter.
“Patties Foods takes Food Safety very seriously and the quality standards it maintains are extremely high,” the company said in a statement.
“Our strict food safety protocols include X-raying of all items before they leave the bakery.
“We have reached out to the customer and are working closely with them and the team at Coles to further investigate the matter.”
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.