CCTV captures the moment man stabs police officer with 45cm knife

WARNING - GRAPHIC CONTENT: CCTV footage has emerged of the moment a man stabbed a police officer at Sydney’s Central Station on Good Friday.

Constable Hayden Edwards, 30, was attacked with a knife at about 6.45pm on Friday.

Footage obtained by The Sunday Telegraph shows a man approach two police officers before appearing to plunge a knife into Constable Edwards’ back.

The constable falls to the floor before he and his colleague draw their weapons.

The man approaches the officers at Central Station. Source: The Sunday Telegraph

The suspect can be seen wielding the knife as Constable Edwards returns to his feet and closes in on the attacker.

Another officer arrives before the man disappears out of shot.

Hunting knife, 45cm long, allegedly used

Transport officers were dealing with an unrelated matter on a platform when Constable Edwards was stabbed.

He was taken to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital where he underwent surgery for a 6cm cut to his back overnight.

He was discharged from the hospital on Saturday evening.

Const Edwards has since been released from hospital. Source: NSW Police

A 53-year-old man, later identified as Mark Thompson, was arrested at the scene after being stunned with a Taser.

He allegedly used a 45cm-long hunting knife which had a 30cm blade, Assistant Commissioner Karen Webb said.

"Having seen an image of that knife - our officer is very lucky to only have minor injuries," Ms Webb told reporters on Saturday.

"(It) was an unprovoked attack. We allege the offender has approached with some vigour."

Thompson was charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, using an offensive weapon to prevent lawful arrest, resisting arrest and having a knife in a public place.

A man was arrested at the scene on Friday. Source: AAP

Thompson did not appear in court when his matter was heard at Parramatta Bail Court on Sunday morning.

Bail was not applied for and it was formally refused.

Police officer had just moved to Sydney

Constable Edwards, who has been a member of the police force for three years, moved to Sydney only recently after transferring from Moree in northern NSW.

Chief Inspector Paul Carrett said the "very competent" officer was sore and tired after the attack.

"A stabbing of a police officer - unprovoked - is a very serious matter," Insp Carrett.

The police union described the attack as "cowardly" and said it highlighted the dangers police officers face on the job.

"The offender has just walked up behind the police officer, who was doing his job talking to someone else, and stabbed him in the back," Police Association of NSW president Tony King told reporters on Saturday.

"It's a cowardly act from behind."

Thompson's matter will next appear before Central Local Court on June 18.

With AAP

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, download the Yahoo News app from iTunes or Google Play and stay up to date with the latest news with Yahoo’s daily newsletter. Sign up here.